Engine 1211

Fire Department

The volunteer fire department is responsible for the prevention and suppression of land, vehicle and structural fires, and the response to requests for emergency medical aid and accidents.

The department is headed by a full-time Fire Chief, Steve Duncan, a full-time Assistant Fire Chief, Brian Carter, volunteer company officers and firefighters, and supplemented by temporary firefighters participating in the College of the Siskiyous Emergency Response Technology Program.

Steve Duncan
Steve Duncan, Fire Chief steve.duncan@ci.weed.ca.us 530-938-5030


Steve Duncan, Fire Chief        Email  steve.duncan@ci.weed.ca.us     530-938-5030

Brian Carter, Assistant Fire Chief   Email  brian.carter@ci.weed.ca.us    530-938-5030


E 1214 River Complex

Weed Fire Department hiring temporary positions for the 2024 fire season

The Weed City Fire Department is looking to hire three temporary firefighters for the 2024 fire season.  48/96 schedule. If you are interested, see the attached announcement and employment application. Applications due April 12th, 2024.  Contact the Weed Fire Station at 530-938-5030 if you have any questions.



Weed FD ISO Score = 3.

Your area's ISO fire score is a rating that determines how well your local fire department can protect your community and home. Insurance companies use the score to help set home insurance rates, as a home that is less likely to be severely damaged or destroyed by fire is cheaper to insure. However, the impact of your area's ISO score on your homeowners insurance policy varies by insurer. What's more, ISO does not publicly release scores, so it's not easy to look up your area's score or how it's impacting your insurance rates.

What Is an ISO Fire Rating?

A company called the ISO (Insurance Services Office) creates ratings for fire departments and their surrounding communities. The ratings calculate how well-equipped fire departments are to put out fires in that community. The ISO provides this score, often called the "ISO fire score," to homeowners insurance companies. The insurers then use it to help set homeowners insurance rates. The more well-equipped your fire department is to put out a fire, the less likely your house is to burn down. And that makes your home less risky, and therefore less expensive, to insure.

An ISO fire insurance rating, also referred to as a fire score or Public Protection Classification (PPC), is a score from 1 to 10 that indicates how well-protected your community is by the fire department. In the ISO rating scale, a lower number is better: 1 is the best possible rating, while a 10 means the fire department did not meet the ISO's minimum requirements.

According to the ISO's Fire Suppression Rating Schedule (FSRS), there are four main criteria to a fire rating score:

  • 50% comes from the quality of your local fire department including staffing levels, training and proximity of the firehouse.
  • 40% comes from availability of water supply, including the prevalence of fire hydrants and how much water is available for putting out fires.
  • 10% comes from the quality of the area's emergency communications systems (911).
  • An extra 5.5% comes from community outreach, including fire prevention and safety courses.
  • Any area that is more than 5 driving miles from the nearest fire station is automatically rated a 10.

Depending on your state, it's possible to get a maximum score of around 106% on the survey, although any fire department that scores above 90% receives the highest ranking, a 1. Very few fire departments receive that ranking--only 0.71% of all communities surveyed have a 1. A rating of 5 is both the median and most common rating fire departments received. In general, urban areas tend to have better PPC scores than rural areas, as urban fire departments are closer together and often receive better funding.

Burn Permits

Burn Permits: 

If you plan on burning inside the city limits, Burn Permits can be obtained in person at the Fire Station at 128 Roseburg Pkwy. or click on the "Burn Permit" PDF, fill it out and email it to steve.duncan@ci.weed.ca.us and make your credit card payment on the city's home page https://www.xpressbillpay.com/#/ Cost is $10/year and all proceeds go to fund public education.  Call (530) 938-5030 for more details. 


If you live in the county you need to obtain your Burn Permit from the Cal-Fire website at  https://burnpermit.fire.ca.gov/