Building Inspection

Building Inspection issues building permits for the construction of new buildings and for renovation or improvement of existing buildings, and subsequently inspects all construction related activities to assure code compliance. 

The building inspector is charged with the enforcement of the latest adopted editions of the California Building Code, the California Electrical Code, the California Plumbing Code, the California Mechanical Code, the Uniform Housing Code, and the Uniform Code for the Abatement of Dangerous Buildings.


John Pemberton, Building Inspector

Office Hour: Monday through Thursday 7:30 am to 4:30 pm   Fridays and Holidays we are closed.

Please note - Wednesdays the Building Inspector is in Dorris and Tulelake performing inspections. 

Inspections require a 24-hour notice.  

Mailing Address - PO Box 470 Weed CA 96094

24 Hour Inspection request line - 530-938-5025

Email Address -

On line Permit Applications

Not all permits can be downloaded, filled out and sent in with a check. If you have any questions about a specific permit, please call or email the building inspector at 530-938-5025 or

You can get an application for a roofing permit, Hot Water Tank permit, Wood stove or Monitor Heater permit and a permit to upgrade your Electrical Service Panel online. Just download and print the PDF permit application, complete all the highlighted spots on the main page that apply to you and sign where it says applicants signature on the fee page (second page). Payment can be made by cash, check or credit card at City Hall, 550 Main Street or mail the completed application and check to City of Weed Building Department, P. O. Box 470, Weed, CA 96094. Your permit card will be mailed back to you or dropped off with the first inspection.

If you have any feedback, comments or concerns, please don't hesitate to send me an email.


Contractors Business License Application

All contractors and sub-contractors are required to have both a current California State Contractors license and a City of Weed Business license to do business in the City of Weed. Please complete the attached business license application and bring it to City Hall with the appropriate fee.

An annual license is $50.00 plus a State fee of $4.00 = $54.00

A three month license is $25.00 plus a State fee of $4.00 = $29.00